Don’t Talk To the Police.

Talk To An Attorney Who Can Help.

What To Do After You Have Been Served A Restraining Order In Ohio

Almost anyone can get a restraining order (or variation of one) taken out against anyone. Because having a restriction on where you can go and who you can see is limiting and may involve a criminal charge, it is wise to seek legal representation as soon as possible.

Attorney Adam Stone at Eyer Stone, LTD, has a solid reputation for protecting his clients. Call 419-561-9840 for a consultation regarding your situation. It’s important to know what to do – and what not to do – next.

Types Of Ohio Restraining Orders

There are different types of restraining orders in Ohio, and the descriptions of them are not simple. Here are a few of the types of protection orders attorney Stone deals with:

  • Civil protection order (CPO): Individual and can last up to five years
  • Domestic violence temporary protection order (DVTPO): Part of a criminal case
  • Temporary protection order (TPO): Typically part of a divorce case and can be related to domestic violence charges
  • Anti-stalking protection order, usually a criminal protection order (CRPO): Requires a criminal case
  • Civil stalking and sexually oriented offenses protection order (SSPPOP): No criminal case required

CPOs are issued by criminal courts. Stay-away orders are issued by judges, typically in criminal cases. Restraining orders are common in divorce orders but are not enforced by law enforcement. Domestic violence is always a criminal case in Ohio.

Restraining Orders Can Impact Your Family, Work And Future

If you are in a relationship, a restraining order may prohibit you from entering your home. If you are a parent, a restraining order may prevent you from seeing your children. In some cases, you may not be able to perform your job after a restraining order is put in place. If you work in law enforcement, for example, you may not be allowed to carry your service revolver or other firearm.

Additionally, depending on the details of your matter, you may have criminal charges, such as domestic violence, or the violation of a protective order to contend with. If this is the case, it is advisable to seek criminal defense representation or work with a protective order defense lawyer. The stakes are high, so it makes sense to attain legal protection for yourself and your livelihood. If you feel that you were wrongly accused, a restraining order may add to your frustration and sense of injustice.

Work With An Attorney Who Has Proven Success In These Matters

Do not make the mistake of shrugging off any type of order of protection that is taken out against you. There may be far-reaching and detrimental implications to not defending yourself. Call 419-561-9840 and arrange a consultation to make sure you understand the scope of the matter and what you can do about it. You can also reach attorney Stone at Eyer Stone via website contact email. Located in Bucyrus, the firm serves clients throughout Crawford County.